Fremont Indian State Park is located at Exit 17 off Interstate 70 the Fremont Indian State Park is full of interesting history, artifacts, and petroglyphs from the Fremont Indians who inhabited the area. Visit the Fremont Indian State Park during your stay at Big Rock Candy Mountain Resort. It is a short (7.8 mile) drive north on 89 to Clear Creek Canyon Road. See map further down on this page.
HISTORY: One thousand years ago, the valleys along what is now Interstate 70 near Sevier, Utah were home to the largest community of Fremont Indians ever discovered. Their rock art and structures are still visible in the canyons of Fremont Indian State Park. A film, artifacts, hands-on activities, rock art tours, and exhibits reveal the lives of these Fremont Indians. More than a museum, Fremont Indian State Park also offers camping and access to the Paiute ATV Trail.
While there is no evidence that Paiute Indians ever lived in Clear Creek Canyon, they traveled seasonally through the canyon since about A.D. 1400. They used the canyon and itstributaries for hunting, and gathering seeds and pinenuts. The trail through Clear Creek Canyon was the only route between hunting areas on different sides of the Pahvant and Tusher mountain ranges. A number of the rock art panels within the park are attributed to the Paiute, and have inspired park signs and trail guides.
The Paiute trail through Clear Creek Canyon was later used by others. In his explorations, Jedediah Smith came through the canyon in 1826. The trail was improved into a wagonroad in 1872. A toll of 25 cents per wagon was charged to use the road for the next 25 years. In 1877, the fist year-round homesteaders, John Smiley Lott and his two wives, settled in the canyon. A school was built for the Lott grandchildren in 1895. In the 1890s, gold was discovered at Kimberly, making Clear Creek Canyon an important route to the railroad at Sevier. During the 20th century, farming was marginalat best, and most of families had employment outside of the canyon. Construction of I-70 in the 1980s caused most ofthe canyon’s inhabitants to leave.
Opened to the public as a state park in 1987.
All information for this page came from Utah State Parks.
HOURS AND FEES:
Summer – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Winter – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Holiday Closures: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day
The Museum is closed on Sundays, December through March
Day-use fee: $3 per person/$6 per vehicle
Castle Rock: $13
Group camping: $3 per person (20 person min – 100 people max – 50 vehicles max).
TeePee: $30 per night
Park Elevation: 5,900 feet
3820 W Clear Creek Canyon Road Sevier UT 84766
Group Visits For
Copyright 2016 Awesome Adventures Inc